It is our obligation as an educational institution to make sure our students have the skills to recognize how to partner ecologically with the needs of our planet. Town School's present campus, built in the 1950s, is fast becoming a living laboratory for the impressionable youth who are growing up in a facility that was designed when no one thought deeply about renewable energy or minimizing our footprint on the planet. Our students have an enhanced opportunity not only to be better stewards of their environment, but also to see how a school built over half a century ago can change with the times.
Some of the things we are doing at Town School to promote "green" thinking and acting:
- Green Team in both the Upper and Lower Schools.
- Composting and Recycling of all our waste--involving the students in all levels.
- Partnering with our food service providers, Acre Gourmet, to emphasize sustainable food and healthy eating for our students.
- Incorporating sustainability and awareness in the everyday curriculum at Town.
- Participating in our vertical and rooftop garden project.
- Offering membership in a Community Sponsored Agriculture program for our teachers and families.
- Greening Town School Social functions by reducing landfill waste and by using non-toxic cleaning supplies in the building.
- Organizing events to educate the community about sustainability, like the annual Earth Day Assembly.